Sunday, July 15, 2007

Wanna Rumble With the Beehive?...


I'm back. After a long vacation that ended with an unplanned even longer vacation, as well as a fixed computer, I've got my Uggs on and I'm ready to ease into blogging once again. Remember, I've been away from a neighborhood where people still wear Uggs, heirloom tomatoes can still form the basis for a retail establishment, infant-filled strollers are used as battering rams amidst heavy traffic and the median age is twenty -- so please bear with me as I get back into a South End state of mind.

While I was away (dining on NON-heirloom tomatoes, to boot) I seem to have missed out on the "buzz" about the South End's "hippest" new restaurant, The Beehive. In the interest of full disclosure, I have not been to this shining gem in the necklace that is restaurant row. However, I have seen the velvet ropes and ear-pieced bouncer and almost wet myself. I am quite certain that a bouncer is necessary to protect the South End's numerous VIP's from the riff-raff. (On second thought, maybe some long-time, original South Enders paid for this service to direct the riff-raff away from us and into the restaurant). How exclusive is this chic new haunt? Well, let's just say that my parents friends, "Morty and Sylvia Rosenbloom" (names have been changed to protect them from the ignominy of appearing in this blog) from Chestnut Hill have already been and loved, loved, loved it!! Now that's hip.

Also, some of the guys from my friend's law firm have already been there on the ol' expense account. They did report back that the "drinks were great." (I am of the opinion that in Boston, to have a successful restaurant, all you need are good drinks -- food is really secondary or even tertiary).

For this they need a velvet rope?

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that the South End finally has somewhere other than Franklin Cafe for late-night dining, and in theory I would certainly want to patronize someplace that has Berklee Music School students playing jazz. Its just that the whole velvet rope thing should be left to places like New York's famous Scores strip club, circa 1992. Only here could that type of thing appeal to the pretentious boobs of the New South End.

On a related note, for exactly which VIP's are the velvet ropes meant? In Boston, apparently VIP means the occasional newscaster, hairdresser of newscasters, New England Patriot, wife of New England Patriot, car dealership owner, or owner of small chain of donut shops. Oh the glamour of it all!!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been: I try every restaurant in the neighborhood. The drinks are indeed good, the food pretty dull, the atmosphere quite cool, the music just okay, the service really appalling. I don't think the velvet rope has a VIP function, it's just line management, since the place has a capacity of 300, and has caught on pretty quickly.

I put the Beehive in the same category as Pho Republique (whose owner is a co-owner of the Beehive): a place where the cool atmosphere makes it a decent place for a cocktail, but not much else. (I think Pho's food is really mediocre and overpriced.) But long lines defeat the ability to just drop in for a pop, so I don't expect it will get much of my business.

(Oh, and seeking proper celebrities in Boston is like going to Casablanca for the waters. If you ever expected that, you clearly were misinformed.)

July 16, 2007 at 7:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Kitty said...

We missed you on your extended vacay! My computer died this summer, too, and I offer my condolences. At least you had your Uggs to keep you warm!

August 7, 2007 at 8:30:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The South End really is dead. You haven't posted in nearly a month. LOL

At least all the strollers and dogs are on the Vineyard and Nantucket, leaving us city folk some peace and quiet and no lines, no waiting for dinner.

August 8, 2007 at 5:17:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well put! I tried to host a birthday party at the 'hive and the snooty French owner/manager told me I could have a roped off section between 5 and 7pm for $3k. Give me a break. The ropes out front and the attitudes that go along with them are exactly the last thing we want in our neighborhood.

November 7, 2007 at 8:34:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Beehive makes me want to hang myself. I cannot wait for this place to implode under the weight of its own success.

I always thought of the South End sort of like Worcester. Rough around the edges but some really great places (ever been to Ralphs?) are hidden within.

Now I think of the South End more like Hartford.

November 18, 2007 at 9:30:00 AM PST  
Blogger das said...

When you think of a beehive, you think of frenetic activity, of relentless buzz, of creatures milling about in social circles, right? Good. You're already in the right frame of mind for the South End's newest main attraction: The Beehive.Have mercy on the clueless diner who tries to get into this place without a reservation, especially after 8 p.m. on a weekend. A line out the door is a common sight on this corner of Tremont Street.
----------
Mobin
Promoter

October 15, 2008 at 7:13:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh....it is so fun to read these comments. I was a South End resident about 15 years ago...back when the gentrification had happened but going down to Shawmut Ave. was considered so brave. Seems like part of what made the South End so wonderful...the true diversity and a non-pretentious vibe...is long gone. Hopefully the "New York-ification" of Boston will subside, good old thrifty New England values will return, and the South End can become a cool place to live again.

November 16, 2008 at 1:28:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(法新社倫敦四日電) 英國情色大亨芮孟a片的公司昨天說,芮孟av日前成人影片av女優世,享壽八十二歲;這位身價上億的房地產日本av開發商,部落格a片經在倫成人av推出第一場脫衣舞表演。

成人網站
芮孟的財產估計av女優達六億五千萬英鎊成人影片(台a片av女優情色近四成人百億),由於他名下事業大多分布在倫敦夜生色情a片色情區蘇活區sex,因此擁有「蘇成人網站情色之王」的稱號。
部落格

他的公司「保羅芮成人影片孟集團」旗下發a片行多種情色雜誌,包括「Raavdvdzzle」、情色電影「男性世界」以及「Mayfair」。色情影片


芮孟本名傑福瑞.安東尼.奎恩,父親色情為搬運承包商。芮孟av成人光碟五歲離開學校,矢言要在表演事業留名,起先表演讀av心術,後來成為巡迴歌舞雜耍表演的製作人。


許多評a片下載論家認為,他把情色情色電影表演帶進主流社會成人電影,一九五九年主成人網站持破情色視訊天荒的脫衣舞表演,後來更靠著在蘇活部落格區與倫敦色情西區開發房地產賺得大筆財富。

a片下載
有人形成人電影容芮孟是英國的海夫納,地位AV片等同美國的「花花公子」創辦人海夫納。

February 19, 2009 at 10:03:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home