Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Just A Clarification....

If you are reading this blog, chances are you stumbled across it while reading the article entitled "The South End Is So Over" in November's Boston Magazine. Not surprisingly, when I first learned that Boston Magazine was going to use this blog as a springboard for an article about the yuppie invasion of the South End, I was thrilled. The author did a fantastic job of summarizing the feelings of a certain population of the neighborhood: those of us who have had enough with entitled yuppies, luxury condo's, emperor's-new-clothes restaurants and pretentious boutiques taking over what had previously been an interesting, affordable and diverse part of the city of Boston.

I was saddened (but not the least bit surprised) to read some of the comments both here in this blog and on the Boston Magazine website. In an effort to bring some humor and creative style to the article, the author used images such as "twin sets and pearls" and "skinny jeans" to bring his prose to life. Many of the comments dissected the authors use of these creative vehicles ad nauseum. Let's get something straight: We all know that not all twin-set-and-pearls-wearers are bad people and not all skinny jeans wearers are good. (Blogger's note: It is true that all Uggs wearers are bad people). That wasn't the point of the article, however. The point was that a new wave of really obnoxious entitled yuppies have moved in, making the neighborhood a less interesting and more unpleasant (albeit a supposedly safer) place to live.

Another string of comments suggested that people who moved in a couple of years prior to the yuppie invasion have no standing to complain when they themselves displaced those that were there before them. Again, that has nothing to do with the main point of this blog. It is not a question of who displaced whom, or who got there first. Rather, it is a question of what they did once they displaced those who were there before them and how they treated those who remained. Its all about ENTITLEMENT and lack of diversity (one blogger even stated that the influx of wealthy white suburbanites made the South End more diverse, making me wonder if perhaps she wore her Uggs too tight).

As I've mentioned before, I can recall delivering meals a decade ago to elderly people living in public housing in the neighborhood. It might not have been as much fun as going shopping for heirloom tomatoes or swigging down a pomegranatini at the newest "brasserie," but I enjoyed it. I had friends who delivered meals, medicines and just their company to AIDS patients in the neighborhood. I had a boyfriend who volunteered with his friends in a homeless shelter's soup kitchen, as opposed to complaining that formerly homeless people would be moving into transitional housing on his (not even so nice) street. I had friends who planted flowers in those wooden half-barrels you see on sidewalks in the neighborhood. As a thank you for his planting efforts, my friend's Section 8-housed neighbor baked him a plate of brownies and they knew each other by name.

All of these activities were to make the neighborhood a better place for everyone, including those who were there before them. The people who were here ten, seven, five years ago realized that charity is about helping others less fortunate than themselves. Contributing $362,000 to a dog park for your own use is not charity. It is self-centeredness. You can be sure that most of the people who donated that money would never have dropped a penny had the request been for new textbooks for the local schools.

Keeping your neighbors awake shouting after your dog in the hallway while you throw tennis balls at him at 3:30 am on a Tuesday night is not a neighborly thing to do. Blasting your stereo speakers outside your Waltham Street (a/k/a Fraternity Row) windows at 2 am on a weeknight is not neighborly. Calling your neighbors "fudge packers" after they have warned you about not picking up after your dog is not neighborly (or particularly safe for you and your dog if it happens within my presence). Commenting to your spouse that you are you annoyed with the copies of Bay Windows left in your pricey condo building's lobby ("why do these have to be here?") is not conducive to forming a bond with those who were there before you. Tsk-Tsk-ing to your wife in front of the Movie Place's shirtless torsos (while wearing a pastel-colored sweater tied around your shoulders) is an affront to (almost all of) my senses. Maybe your wife won't suspect anything when you go out to "walk the dog" at 11pm if you disparage gay people (i.e, the Larry Craig syndrome).

For those of you who think that this blog has something against straight people, you could not be more mistaken. Some of my best friends are straight AND they agree with the sentiments expressed on this blog and in the article. The difference is that the straights who were here circa 1997 did not make comments like the ones set forth above. They knew that the South End was a diverse neighborhood and that included gay people, who were also their friends. They tried to set up their gay friends with other gay friends (successfully in my case) and their sensibilities were not the least bit offended by displays of gay affection. When their gay friends kissed goodbye, they carried on and they didn't stare out the window of their local fish market-martini bar (or whatever the hell it is) in absolute horror when a group of gay men pecked each other on the cheek goodnight (see earlier posting).

It saddens me to see that there are only a handful of gay-owned and operated businesses left in the South End when there used to be dozens. (Note: If the Eagle ever closes, which I hope it will not, if only to annoy the pretentious Atelier dwelling yups across the street, I will call for a big gay "kiss-in" on the sidewalk on Tremont Street in protest). It also saddens me that what used to be a vibrant artistic community is becoming a shadow of its former self, artists having been displaced by luxury condos and high rents. The remaining artists can only be successful by selling what I call "sofa art," which is art marketed to bland suburbanites to match their bland living rooms ("Harold, this painting of a hummingbird sucking nectar out of a flower would look beautiful over our sectional!!). Too safe!! Living in a luxury condo named after an artists workshop does not an art community make. Even if they do reserve a couple of units for "artistes."

This clarification has me thinking about what types of behaviors, people and things I've noticed since the yuppie onslaught which I had never noticed prior thereto:
  • People in new Audis (or the equivalent) driving the wrong way down one way streets (the corner of Shawmut and Waltham, particularly) and giving pedestrians the finger when it is pointed out that they are going the wrong way.
  • Signs on shopkeeper's doors and on chained bicycles imploring people not to let their dogs pee (or worse) on said doors and vehicles. I know one shopkeeper who must regularly warn his dog walking passers by that it is uncouth to allow a dog to defecate in the entryway of a business.
  • Emperor's New Clothes restaurants - they can serve crap to unsuspecting morons who will be impressed by the "hip" scenery. The flipside is an almost complete lack of affordable places in which to get a decent meal that doesn't involve "a foam of pea-shoots" or "roulade of truffled goat hoof marrow." The odd noise you hear nightly on Tremont Street is the stampede of South End restaurant owners laughing all the way to the bank.
  • People in their very early twenties keeping me up until all hours on weeknights because they don't have to work the next day (in mummy and daddy-sponsored luxury condos).
  • People who feel that they can dictate whether a 7-11 can come into the neighborhood or whether a transitional housing block for formerly homeless people should be allowed on their street.
  • People who feel that their right to free overnight parking spaces trumps the right of the elementary school which owns those spaces to build a soccer field for its students.
  • People who feel they should have some input as to what type of art will appear on a city-pledged graffiti wall for inner city youth ("I hope you won't be painting anything offensive on there!").
  • People who donate lots of money for a dog park when homeless people at a shelter across the street are not guaranteed a place to sleep on a freezing winter's night.
  • Luxury condominiums popping up like weeds. Do they even build plain ol' condos anymore?
  • "The third bedroom can be used as a nursery" - until you send little Madison to private school and move to the suburbs, thus keeping the neighborhood transient and root-less.
  • The phrase "granite, maple and stainless steel" popping up in almost every conversation ad nauseum. Just once I'd like to hear "pumice, balsawood and corrugated tin."
  • Five-year-olds in restaurants at 11pm, Saturday night (I really need to put DSS on speed-dial) and strollers being pushed into busy streets without regard to traffic while on a cell phone. Ooops!!
  • People who sell heirloom tomatoes.
  • Even worse: people who buy heirloom tomatoes.
  • Bars that require reservations for seats - get this - at the bar.
  • $50 omelettes.
  • Velvet ropes.
  • Boutiques that cater to the Mother of the Bride.
  • My parents friends Harold and Sylvia from Chestnut Hill.

Maybe the neighborhood is a little safer now (don't tell that to my friends who have been mugged on Washington Street and Columbus Avenue in the past year, or my friends who have experienced car numerous break-ins on Union Park Street by the cathedral), but I think I liked it better when it was more interesting, more accepting, less safe and less pretentious.

46 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, I'm one of those pretentious people at the pretentious Atelier. I ogled Pride goers from my balcony with friends, drink Bud Lite at the Eagle and don't even know what an Ugg is. I won't eat crappy food, regardless of how hip the venue. My neighbors are a pretty cool, diverse group, as are my friends in the area. Sure, it's a different place than it was 10 years ago, but every city changes. I like your writing a lot, but how about a bit narrower brush for the stereotypes?

November 28, 2007 at 5:00:00 PM PST  
Blogger thesouthender said...

Sorry, I don't own any narrow brushes.

If you live at "atilleer" or "artillery" or however they pronounce it now, then you are part of the problem.

November 28, 2007 at 5:16:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems that "They" have pronounced the word the same way since about 1840. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atelier

November 29, 2007 at 9:18:00 AM PST  
Blogger thesouthender said...

Well then how come every time I hear a South End Realtor or some nouveau riche yuppie pronounce it, 9 out of 10 times, its wrong?!

November 29, 2007 at 9:40:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thrilled to see you writing again. I couldn't agree with you more (especially about the Hurley School parking - that orgy of entitlement was as embarassing for the South End as Mitt Romney is for all of Massachusetts).

-South Ender since '98 (and big 'mo)

November 29, 2007 at 1:06:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're still writing.

Generally agree with most of your thoughts and admit I'm part of the problem: white, married, new baby, designer stroller, work downtown, have too much dough, wife's at home doing the philanthropy thing, yada yada. While I hope to not move to the burbs, I'm not promising anything.

Regardless of whether you like it, the change that's happened in our neighborhood has been organic. Market driven, but that's part of the cycle of things. Status quo leads to stagnation. And yes, the neighborhood is "ours" meaning you and me and everyone, and yes, it's still a neighborhood even if not as "neighborly" as you'd prefer.

I like your attitude because it keeps us real, and I know you must like it in the area enough to stay around...

Hope to find out who you are someday and discuss.

November 30, 2007 at 1:07:00 PM PST  
Blogger thesouthender said...

Actually, I don't really think you are part of the problem. Have all the money, strollers, etc. that you want - if you treat others with respect and respect their differences, than you are most certainly NOT part of the problem. Although generally speaking, some of the stroller set might be offensive, many are not and are decent people to boot.

Plus, your wife is doing the philanthropy thing, which automatically takes you out of the entitled yuppie group that serves as the subject of this blog.

I'll bet you are not keeping your neighbors awake at 3am on a Tuesday, you're not trying to decide who your neighbors should be, and you're not snickering or worse at people not exactly like yourselves.

November 30, 2007 at 1:57:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on down to Dorchester, it is the new South End.

November 30, 2007 at 7:15:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we missed you
keep up the good work
question-
how can ANY normal blue collar person live here now?
I'm getting priced out and I bought in '93.
Mikes Movies is going out of busines now too.
I feel I have stayed too long at the ball.
Love the blog!

December 1, 2007 at 5:39:00 PM PST  
Blogger Me said...

I agree with you on the children in nice restaurants late at night.

But I agree with my once upon a time statement that I believe the South End is "even more diverse now than it was before."

I know I certainly don't want to see this neighborhood become a carbon copy of Beacon Hill. And I agree with you that many South End residents do NOT have any fashion sense (with their twin sets and swingback pumps. though I disagree with you on the Uggs. I wear them, but only as they are meant to be worn - in the Winter and NOT with my jeans tucked into them.)

I don't own a car myself. And I moved to this neighborhood because of its location to everything else in the city. But I don't think the South End is over.

I love it here.

December 1, 2007 at 6:33:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you sir are a big whiny baby. would you like some warm milk?

December 2, 2007 at 3:17:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you sir are a big whiny baby. would you like some warm milk?

Good contribution. You must be a new South Ender.

December 2, 2007 at 12:17:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long before Wally's goes? We've lost Tim's, Bob's, and, in a few short weeks, we lose Liquor Land. I hope those twinsets love the traffic from the new Staples, CVS, and yet another place for students and urban professionals to hang out and eat overpriced, sub par food . Blech.

December 2, 2007 at 6:03:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could always move to JP. I ended up living here sort of by accident, but ended up sort of charmed by the way people fought to keep a D'Angelo sub shop off Centre Street and that the JP community seems to pay care about affordable housing. Though we do some have luxury condos that were recently built... Nothing's perfect I suppose.

December 2, 2007 at 8:53:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we do seem to be losing and not gaining.

We need more Staples and CVS?

now.. where to put Starbucks #2..

I'm glad Charlie's is still around to eat in.

The going up the wrong way on one-way streets and the constant running of red lights is a bit upsetting too.

I think people can voice concerns without being called cry babies.

December 2, 2007 at 9:41:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also a little annoyed by people who no longer want to stop for pedestrians using the cross walks. While crossing Tremont last night the oncoming car (an Audi) tapped the horn, flashed lights and barreled on through. I had to rush out of the way. I was almost run over by some idiot woman in a Lexus SUV last week. She became visibly angry at me after screeching her vehicle to a stop. She was on her cell phone prior to displaying her anger so she probably wasn't paying attention. I always watch closely but she was in the far lane (three other cars had stopped letting me cross).

December 2, 2007 at 10:16:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the Atelier residents get their South End street parking permits? I've been told that the builder was given the go-ahead to put the building up based on an agreement that the owners/tenants were to have onsite parking. Now several tenants are suing the city because they want the permits.

December 2, 2007 at 10:21:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those people who opposed the Hurley School "Play yard" (i.e. Soccer field) ARE South End old timers for the most part. The mommies and daddies of little Kaitelyn and Conner and Madison simply did a bang-up PR job in convincing people it was evil neighbors vs those who only want betterment for "the children". EVERYTHING is now for the fucking "children".

I'm gay, I love kids but I am NOT looking forward to rabid soccer moms and their offspring taking the dwindling number of neighborhood parking spaces and hearing screaming children playing soccer every day and night of the week between March and December; not to mention the eventual stadium lights, trash, etc. etc.

Shame on you for defending it.
(other than that, I appreciate your sentiments and agree with most of them.)

December 3, 2007 at 5:21:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave heirloom tomatoes out of it. What did they do to you, really?

I think you make some good points, but it also comes off as (New England influenced) island mentality too. I understand that you're trying to defend what the collective South End has had, but it's gonna change man, things always change. You'll never have it the same again, ya just have to enjoy it while you do I guess and try to make it better.

The homophobia stuff and other mean-spirited stuff is BS though. Nobody should treat anyone like that.

I think the important thing for the SE down the road is whether the new people plant roots, and whether they contribute to the community or not.

December 3, 2007 at 5:22:00 AM PST  
Blogger ...,,, said...

I'd like to add that a Range Rover-driving hausfrau, middle-aged yuppie type who's lived two doors down from me has chastised me for letting my dog pee next to a street lamp...not because she didn't necessarily like it, but because it was bad for his kid to see. I shit you not.

Most of the problems with the new breed of residents really can't be attributed solely to "yuppies", but to troublesome women who are card-carrying members of the Oprah-fed mommy culture.

Sad really.

December 3, 2007 at 6:17:00 AM PST  
Blogger Trent said...

Love the writing here, found it via Bostonist.

My wife and I are 25 and we recently moved to the Back Bay, and we live on Comm. Ave. I love the (old) diversity (I used to see) in the South End. Boston's recent piece of the dwindling amount of gay gathering places was a great piece and it made me sad, as a recent Bostonian.

Where would we be without gay culture? The straights need gay culture more than they realize. They have brought us some of the most incredible art, they open up amazing businesses, they are active in their communities, and they add so much to the life of a dense city.

Keep up the writing, and come over to drop a note sometime.

Trent

December 3, 2007 at 6:59:00 AM PST  
Blogger ...,,, said...

Trent, a 25 y.o. married straight guy sticking up for the gays...... I think I just got a boner.

Please give Trent his own space on the blog; hopefully one which accommodates pics. ;-)

December 3, 2007 at 8:17:00 AM PST  
Blogger joe said...

Writing a piece on the changing face of the neighborhood, would love to get in touch with you, mr. thesouthendisover. would appreciate further contact info if possible...
thanks

December 3, 2007 at 11:29:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josef - If you're looking for input from any other South Enders, drop me a line.

DLOP2006@aol.com

December 3, 2007 at 1:07:00 PM PST  
Blogger thesouthender said...

Josef - please leave an email address here and I will contact you on that. Thanks. TSE

December 3, 2007 at 4:44:00 PM PST  
Blogger miz_g said...

having moved to the South End/Roxbury from my beloved San Francisco, (which is undergoing a lot of the same problems) I can agree with a lot of this. I hesitate to stereotype anyone (except by Uggs) but it can be true that entitlement knows a particular bad fashion sense.

I wanted to live in a space with other artists (I'm a graphic designer, my husband is a student/dj) but make it a point to support local business when I can, even if it's to buy heirloom tomatoes. I do love me some tomatoes. Our building houses amazing artists, including a guy who did cover art for Earth Wind and Fire. It's a shame to see the gradual homogenization of a culture, especially when you know that as soon as the tides turn and city living isn't a cachet anymore, that this too shall pass, and who knows what will be left.

I <3 teh gays. Invite me to your kiss-in, I'll bring lip balm and vodka like we hags know to do.

December 3, 2007 at 5:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger joe said...

mcg.joe@gmail.com

thanks!

December 3, 2007 at 6:17:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I've been living in the South
End for 25 or more years and I've
seen quite a few changes and I still love the place both good and
bad. My advice to you is get a
hobby (maybe several) or hey, why
don't you move.
You are a big whiny baby.

December 4, 2007 at 8:46:00 AM PST  
Blogger thesouthender said...

Gee, I haven't heard that "why don't you move" line yet. How clever!! I must admit I hadn't thought of that -- very original!!

December 4, 2007 at 9:25:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Bicycle Brain" seems a bit hypersensitive. Apparently one of the newbies and if not, likes being put in his place by the numbers of yuppies and mommies who feel "the gays" should be unheard, and unseen.

It's people like you 'Bicycle Brain' who should go the fuck away.

December 4, 2007 at 9:43:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah anonymous I like it up the
ass too, just like you.

December 4, 2007 at 11:54:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bicyclebrain said "Yeah anonymous I like it up the ass too, just like you." Interesting comment.

So, does this mean: A) bicyclebrain is too stupid to understand how sarcasm actually works (i.e., that you’re supposed to say the opposite of what you mean, which would be, “I don’t really like it up the ass, and neither do you, gay man”, which makes no sense), or B) he’s actually does like it up the ass, but is too dim to realize that trolling in a blog about neighborhood issues is a poor way to fulfill his desires?

I’m leaning towards A, in which case, bicyclebrain, you should punch your weight: stick to kindergarten-level name-calling.

December 4, 2007 at 12:51:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assume
Assume
Assume.............

December 4, 2007 at 1:05:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'BicycleBrain' - The name says it all actually.

Notice how a true homophobe immediately resorts to name calling, making "up the ass" comments and uses the tired old "why don't you move" comment.

BicycleBrain, how did you type with your little fists planted firmly at your waist?

YOU are why the South End is "over".

December 5, 2007 at 1:07:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THESouthender- You make it sound as though the South End was some sort of Utopian experiment that's been spoiled by Brooks Brothers wearing infidels. Yes, I mourn the lost of Tony's vegetables, the funky second hand shop on Columbus, The Movie Place, and that odd little, ruin that once stood were the Atelier and the new theater cast a dark shadow over Tremont. What I don’t miss is the chewed-up concrete sidewalk that lined Washington Street, the sad souls passed outside the liquor store on Tremont where Garden of Eden now operates, the once vacant lots fill with used needles and condoms, and the fact that walking south of Columbus after dark was a risky endeavor. Certainly, I curse the baby carriages and the attendant “Mommy Culture” under my breath, shopping at Walgreen’s on Washington can send my blood pressure into the stratosphere, and don’t even get me started on Flour. However, I would argue that heartless souls come in all colors and wear all sorts of attire. Some have every appendage tattooed or pierced, some walk in pin stripes and pearls and some even create art (gasp!). In short, why not be open to the experiences life throws in your path. It’s hard to open your mind, when your head is shoved up your ass.

December 5, 2007 at 4:30:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"....I beg your pardon, I
never promised you a rose garden."

And hey Mr Southender, Your Uggs
are in the mail.

December 6, 2007 at 7:31:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey bicycleslayer(ooh we should all be scared)who's
resorting to name calling now?
i agree with bookbear. you need
a little air. get your head out
of your ass.

December 6, 2007 at 7:41:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too much name calling. It's called a 'blog' (WebLog) for a reason.

I don't agree with all the points TheSouthEnder makes...that being said, if people don't like them, why troll the 'comments' section?

Ignoring the things you don't like is a concept proven to work.

I'm on my way to find some heirloom tomatoes now, and I hope to run over a stroller-pushing, Ugg wearing mommy on the way.

Cio bitches!

December 6, 2007 at 8:59:00 AM PST  
Blogger Mark D. Snyder said...

The historic black church on west brookline, the street I live on, is leaving and being turned into luxury condos because the members of the church mostly cannot afford to live here in the South End anymore because the rich white people who have moved in raised the rents too high.

I'm queer, though I am white and middle class, living with my boyfriend who's a student and our student roommate. We take pride in our neighborhood and do our best to maintain a sense of community with our neighbors. Luckily we have amazing lesbian landlords who keep the rent affordable.

It's so sad to see places like the church disappear to more cookie cutter high end condos.

December 10, 2007 at 5:38:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What existed before was a "live and let" live attitude. I don't kid myself into thinking that the black and latino project-dwellers were really all that excited about white gay people "contributing" to the "diversity" of the neighborhood. Ditto the Vietnamese and few remaining Greeks and Lebanese. But you basically just showed a certain respect for people who lived here, hung out with people who were pretty much like you, and left it at that. Everybody had an interest in reducing crime, fixing up their property within their financial limitations, and living in an affordable, convenient part of the city. It was pretty great, especially if you were gay, since nobody really bothered you and you could be completely comfortable here.

The newer residents - gay, straight, black, white, asian, whatever - seem to not be interested in live and let live. They seem to be more interested in consuming. If something looks appealing, or some real estate agent or other advertiser tells them it's "the thing to have" then they buy it, they take it, they use it, and when they are done with it, they toss it in the garbage. They have absolutely no manners, which I think stems from the fact their parents are baby-boomers who didn't believe in telling their kids "no." They mostly come from homogeneous suburbs, where they only interacted with people who were exactly like them, went to elite colleges (if I see one more Dartmouth T shirt I'm gonna puke) where they interacted with people of other races who in every respect other than their skin color were exactly like them. They seem to have no idea what it takes to run a building, protect your safety in an urban environment, monitor crime in a neighborhood, accomodate the needs of others, or get along with people who are WAY different than you - but have every right to live here too.

They will continue to do what I've seen countless times already - high-tail it back to the suburbs as soon as it's time for the first kid to go to kindergarten. It's a "cool" place to live for them, something to be consumed (like a $14 dollar glass of cotes de rhone at you-know-where that costs $12 for the bottle, literally across the street). And, of course, they hope to turn a nice profit on the condo Mommy and Daddy helped them buy. They have no intention of being here for the long term. Take a look at how many people voted in the last election in this neighborhood, and we for the first time in 20 years had a real opportunity to choose a new city councillor. Ask how many of these people even know who their city councillor is, or who is the state rep and state senator for this neighborhood, or who their congressman is. They are passing through this neighborhood, like a stop on the grand tour of Europe Daddy gave them as a graduation present from Brown, and they will soon leave, to be followed, unfortunately, by more of the same. They are like tourists, and tourists do no a city make.

December 27, 2007 at 6:07:00 AM PST  
Blogger thesouthender said...

Thank you, Anonymous, for summing up the whole idea of this blog so succinctly and articulately. If I have to sum up my blog for anyone new to it, I will direct them to your comment. Thanks for reading!!

December 27, 2007 at 9:36:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! I've been an avid reader since I found out about your blog, and I'd been ringing the same bell as you for a few years. In fact, I keep being accused of being "the south end blogger" since our sentiments are so closely aligned, but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to create a blog site. Keep it up - honesty is the best policy.

December 27, 2007 at 2:33:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in the South End from the mid/late nineties-2006, and now live on the border of it, though not technically to my mind in it.

I find this blog interesting, but generally disagree. I had irritating neighbors in the late 90s who were flaming queens. Now the irritating neighbors are flameless brokers. But the constant is irritating neighbors.

The old south end, much like the new south end, had pluses and minuses. Yes, I miss some things about the old one, but I find the new version of the neighborhood nicer. And not really that different.

I expect I'll move back one day.

December 27, 2007 at 8:34:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought of this blog on my walk home tonight.

Left the Eagle at 2am, getting out like any good fag should before Jack clears the place with a cranky snarl for closing.

On my walk home, instead of horny gay guys loitering along Tremont St. as in years past, I saw mostly straight girls in their fashion boots, waiting for cabs. I stopped at the newspaper boxes in front of the Ethiopian restaurant to get my gay rags - Bay Windows and InNewsweekly. While I was opening the newspaper boxes, the boyfriend of one of the boot-girls approached her, and loudly vomited onto the sidewalk. How charming.

On one hand, it made me consider how much the neighborhood has deteriorated over the years I have lived here; my building having gone from a mix of all homosexuals -- single gay men and a lesbian couple, to all straight except for me.

But! Where would I move to? The bars are all here; convenient for both the late-night tryst with a new guy ("Well, actually, I live right around the corner here... No, I don't have any roommates.") and even more so when I can stumble home after too many drinks, rather than an expensive cab ride or harrowing and illegal drive. I mean, dBar is nice, but do I really want to have to go there everytime I go out??

December 29, 2007 at 12:04:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in the South End from 92-2002 and enjoyed it very much. I agree with you though that all of the changes turned me off. I moved out to Cambridge and love it.

I rarely even go into the South End anymore and don't miss it one bit.

All of my gay friends from those years that lived there have also moved out. Dorchester, Chelsea, Somerville, Watertown, Arlington etc are their new addresses.

Now I feel like an old fart (at 38) when a friends asks me if I want to go to dinner in the South End. I always say no. No to dealing with parking, not to dealing with the pretentious people. The neighborhood has lost it's soul and now is a bore.

January 18, 2008 at 2:32:00 PM PST  
Anonymous John said...

your a yuppie, you live in waltham

November 12, 2009 at 10:42:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home